In the NEWS - November 24, 2010
We once again see an example of poor judgment. In this case, no one was hurt. However, we should all use this article (click the link above) as a reminder. Although we have a right to carry (Hackbarth even had a CCW), we need to know that certain situations should be avoided when we are armed. Regardless of what the intention was here, it is the perception that makes everyone nervous here. Hackbarth (allegedly) made this worse by being belligerent when contacted by authorities.
The good news in this article comes at the end. He had a permit, and he got his gun back. While I think this guy is an idiot for putting himself in this situation, I support his right to carry until such time that a conviction or diagnosis disqualifies him.
Two arrested on gun charges
I'm torn on this one. On one hand, we have another case of idiocy. Like the first article, these ladies (allegedly) had a firearm in a situation where leaving it at home would have been advisable. The counter-point is that if they are willing to break one law, why not another? I can think of one reason... The theft is 5 years, the gun can get them 50 more. But hey, why commit ANY crime, right?
Where I am torn is on the "Class 2 felony possession of a deadly weapon during the commission of a felony" part. If the gun was in the center console, then do they have proof that the gun was on her while in the store? Does the commission of a felony include driving out of the parking lot, or does the act technically start and end at the front door? Without seeing the law as written or prior case law (precedence) I have no clue. I'm curious if this is a case of tacking on more charges to help get a conviction on the original charge, which is common practice. I suppose it doesn't matter either way, because they stole enough to make the theft a felony. Even if they drop one charge, the other will negate their right to carry if convicted.
No comments:
Post a Comment